Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Two mushrooms aglowing

Panellus stipticus 
Omphalotus illudens
I love glowing mushrooms!
These pretty little guys are Panellus stipticus, also known as the bitter oyster. Unlike the Jack O'lanterns (below) I was unable to see the glow with my naked eye. Their glow required an hour exposure to capture.

A cool bit of trivia, P. stipticus is found across N. America and in other countries but is typically only bioluminescent in eastern US.









So, I've been wanting to shoot a nice big cluster of Omphalotus illudens in situ. A friend told me about a large group that was accessible after dark so we hit it up. Unfortunately, there was a car dealership across the street from their stump and all my long exposures looked like daylight. I grabbed a few and took them home to my dark basement. I'm still pining for that shot but this one will do.

1 comment:

  1. What could have been boiluminescing in the yard in Slate Run Northern Pa.? Found no mushrooms in the morning...

    ReplyDelete