Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Fairies in the backyard

I forgot to post this earlier this week but there are mushrooms growing in my yard! All my bellyaching and complaining about how dry it is and how little mushrooms are out there seem to have spurred some unexpected growth out there.

There was a teddy bear that the dog plays with lying in the grass and I noticed white stuff around it, I naturally assumed the dog had finally disemboweled the bear and the stuffing was all over. It left my mind as soon as it entered. The next day my daughter came in and said, "Dad, haven't you noticed the mushrooms in the yard?" I got so excited and ran right out there to find a half circle of a fairy ring, it wasn't stuffing, it was shrooms!


I plucked some and came inside to research. Turns out they are Agaricus campestris or the Meadow Mushroom. These are very close to the button mushrooms at the store (which are Agaricus bisporus). They grow in fairy rings, which I'd never knowingly seen before. Very cool. they aren't to bad either. I may have to make some duxelles as someone suggested in my cooking with wild mushroom facebook group.

No comments:

Post a Comment