Saturday, July 4, 2015

...But I'm a real fungi!

As a lifelong nature lover, I've always been drawn to the forest. As a photographer, chronicling what I've found there has become my foremost hobby (among many). I told my wife about my blog plans and she snarkily commented, "Are you gonna start a new blog every time you start a new hobby?" I replied, "That's what blogs are for, right?" To her credit, the internet might not be big enough to document all my hobbies, interests, and passions. I already have 2 previous blogs, Photology was a 365 photography project I completed in 2010, and Explosures is my astrophotography blog (that will hopefully get more attention from me in the coming weeks).

As a child you learn to fear mushrooms and, for the vast majority of the population, that mycophobia is still in full effect. I've recently heard people say things like, "Even touching the wrong mushroom will kill you dead!" While this overcautious attitude will surely keep you safe from poisoning, you'll also be missing out on some of the most delicious (not to mention, free) food sources on earth. This blog will chronicle my own mycological finds, either for the table or just for the camera.

Here's some recent mushrooms to whet the appetite:
The Devil's Urn, Urnula craterium
Ganoderma applanatum

Ceratiomyxa Porioides

Hygrocybe flavescens

The delicous morel, Morchella deliciosa

Mycena leaiana

Scutellinia scutellata

Stemonitis splendens


Hypomyces tremellicola infected Crepidotus

The hearty Chicken of the Woods, Laetiporus sulphureus


Leotia lubrica

Artomyces pyxidatus

No comments:

Post a Comment